Fit-up is defined as a measure of the closeness or degree of contact between mating parts.
The metal being welded does not have intimate contact in the area to be welded. The application of welding force and current causes one or both sheets to distort.
Quality, Workplace Issues, Cost, Downtime, Maintenance, Throughput (cycle time; PPH), are all potentially affected by this condition.
- Joint design; design with built-in gap
- Fit-up gap from part dimensional variation
- Non-matching panel contour
- Part damage due to material shipping and handling
- Geometry, design, motion, and operating condition of locators
- Design and operating condition of clamps